REQUESTING DOWNLOADABLE MATERIALS
You can request downloadable ebooks and digital audiobooks using this form. However, we recommend that these requests be made through the Overdrive website.
How to request items on the Overdrive website:
- Visit our Overdrive landing page at beehive.overdrive.com.
- This functionality is not available on the Libby app. You will need to visit the website. Additional instructions on how to request items through Overdrive can be found here.
- Search for the title you are looking for in the catalog to see if it has already been added to the collection.
- If you do not see it listed in the results, click on the "Recommend to Library" link listed underneath the "Availability" tab on the lefthand side of the page to display a list of titles which have not been added to the collection.
- If the item still does not appear, the publishers of the work have probably not released it to libraries to purchase in that format. Feel free to complete the form on this page and we will verify that it is not available for purchase.
- If the item does appear, click "Recommend" and follow the prompts.
- Be aware that you are limited to the number of requests you can make each month.
The difference between requesting things here and requesting things through Overdrive:
The Provo City LIbrary is a part of the Beehive Library Consortium. This consortium is administered through the Utah State Library and provides us access to a much larger collection than we would be able to purchase on our own. Requests made through the Overdrive landing page go to the consortium for purchase consideration.
Because the consortium is buying ebooks and digital audiobooks for a larger population, they sometimes purchase things that our library would not buy. Downloadable materials are often very expensive and we only purchase things that we know will be popular and will be checked out enough to justify the cost.
Benefits of requesting items from the Beehive Consortium:
- A hold is automatically placed on the title if it is purchased by the consortium! This is not something we can do when the request is made through the Provo City Library Purchase Request Form.
- Requests can often be made before a title's publication date! If you are anxious for something that is scheduled for release within the next few months, you may be able to find it on the Overdrive website, place your request, and automatically join the queue when the book is ordered.