Patrons seeking notarizations must bring:
- Unsigned documents to be notarized.
- Originals of any documents to be copied and notarized.
- Notaries can only notarize certified copies made by library staff.
- Photo identification should be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.”
- Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Government ID with a photo, signature, and physical description.
- All photo IDs must be current and in a language the notary understands.
Notaries may not administer an oath to a non-English speaker.
A notary public is not duly trained or certified to practice law. Therefore, notaries are unable to provide assistance in prescribing or determining the particular document a customer may need; selecting the type of notarization or certificate for a given document; preparing a document or giving advice on how to fill out, draft, or complete a document; providing legal counseling or advice in a legal matter that may or may not involve a notarial act.