The first Utah County Courthouse was completed in the spring of 1867. As early as 1860, the construction of a courthouse was proposed and some funds were appropriated, but it was not until the fall of 1866 that construction actually began. The building was one-story, made of brick, and was located on 100 West between 100 and 200 North. The cost of construction was $5,092.16. The building was courthouse and jail for five years and was then sold to the Utah Woolen Mills. It was used as a warehouse and was later used as office space for the company.
A new, two-story courthouse was under construction in 1872 and completed in 1873. This new courthouse was located at 76 East Center Street. The cost was $21,487.80.
By 1919 the building was once again inadequate to the needs and a new city-county building was proposed. The architect of the new building was Joseph Nelson who visited various public buildings in California with several city and county officers. The Yolo County courthouse in Woodland, California was selected as the model for the new Utah County city-county building. Construction began in 1920 and the building was completed in 1926 at a cost of $583,000.
When the county moved from the older building at 76 East Center, the building was occupied by Provo City offices.