The first term at Provo High School began in 1912 after a special election favored a one mill levy to furnish the city with a high school building and equipment.
In 1912 the high school provided only 1 year of schooling beyond the 8th grade; soon it provided 2 years. By about 1914, the eighth grade had become part of the high school, giving the high school grades 8-10. In 1917 the 11th grade was added to the curriculum. In 1921 Provo High School began graduating students. Two junior high schools were opened in 1931 (Farrer and Dixon); they took grades 7-9, which had already been organized into a separate school sometime earlier. (The Jr. High and High schools shared the same facilities for several years).
The first High School building was constructed in 1919 with major additions and improvements the following year. It appears that prior to the construction of the high school building, classes were held in the Central School on the same block. Once the building was completed in 1920, it became apparent that there was a need for an auditorium; three years later, an auditorium was built for the high school. Another 3 years passed and the Science and Arts building was added to the campus.
The high school located on University Avenue was constructed and occupied in 1956 until 2020. The new high school was then built in west Provo.