Brigham Young High School (BY High) has its origins in the Brigham Young Academy founded in 1876. The Academy was essentially a high school until 1896 when a College Department was added. In 1903, although the high school students still outnumbered the college level students, the name of the Academy was changed to Brigham Young University. Brigham Young University began as the Brigham Young Academy founded in 1876. The school changed its name to Brigham Young University in 1903. The High School continued as a part of the University until the end of the 1967-1968 school year. At that time the High School was shut down permanently.